Jasmine Curtis is the owner and creator of Avocurl a natural hair care line created with Avocados. Jasmine started the brand in her dorm room after learning in her biology class about the harmful affects caused by chemicals we use in our beauty products. Currently Avocurl has 4 products and is sold in Mandela Foods Co-Op and on their website Avocurl.com.
1. What were you doing before you started Avocurl? AVOCURL was created in my dorm room when I was an undergraduate student at Cornell University. I was studying Biology and had a lot of experience interning in hospitals and medical clinics because I was on a premedical track. After taking a film class, I starting getting more into photography, booking shoots with friends, shooting for my school's newspaper and interning with wedding photographers!
2. What was the inspiration behind creating Avocurl? I started making my own products because I needed something that would work for my hair. I'm from the Bay Area where the climate is pretty mild, but after moving to upstate New York for school, all of the damage that I had just got worse. The climate was very cold and dry, and the water was hard and often smelled like chlorine. It was common for everybody's skin to feel dry after taking a shower. By the end of my freshman year, my hair was very thin, brittle and started breaking off pretty badly. I was like, alright, I have to do something! It sparked this journey of me not only making products that would nourish and protect my hair, but also learn to love, embrace and take care of it better.
3. What was the first product you created in the Avocurl line? The first product I created was my Conditioning Butter. It is a really intensive moisturizing product that has ingredients like shea butter, avocado butter, coconut oil, olive oil, peppermint, and hempseed butter.
4. We know you started Avocurl out of your dorm room. At what point did you decide to take it into a full fledge business? I was giving it out to friends who affirmed that I had a good product because they kept coming back for more! Because it was working so well, I was confident that it could help other people who had similar challenges taking care of their hair. In one of my classes, I learned about a really cool opportunity to participate in the Women's Business Enterprise National Council Student Entrepreneur Program, which was a week-long program designed to current and future business owners about entrepreneurship. I hadn't participated in a pitch competition before, but I thought why not apply? I had nothing to lose and the program was an all expense paid trip to Orlando, Florida! I was thrilled when I got accepted and started fleshing out my business plan. At the time, AVOCURL didn't even have a name but I was eager to give it a shot. I ended up winning 2nd place in the competition, $3,000 and gained a supportive network of mentors and peers who inspired me to make it happen.
5. What are some of the benefits of using Avocado in your hair? Avocados are truly amazing!! They are a super-fruit and have the highest energy content of any fruit. Ancient Egyptians are known for using avocado on their face and hair, pioneering the use of avocados in beauty products. Avocados help prevent hair loss, promote hair growth, rejuvenate and moisturize the scalp. They are full of vitamins, proteins, amino acids and fats that leave your hair feeling soft, shiny, nourished and strong!
6. What is your best natural hair care tip? Learn to actively love and embrace it! It is a part of you. Be patient with your hair and treat it like you would your skin or face. Also invest in a satin scarf and pillowcase ASAP.
7. What is your favorite product from the Avocurl line? The Conditioning Butter is my favorite. It smells good enough to eat and will leave my hair feeling soft for days!
8. What's advice would you give someone starting a hair care line? Create S.M.A.R.T. goals that make your vision more attainable. I wish I did this earlier because they've helped me get clear on my goals and how I'm going to achieve them. It's important to know where you want to go and be able to speak it into existence. There are going to be people along the way who can't see your vision but you have to recognize and deflect the doubt! Don't let it sit with you. Good vibes only! Keep your mind strong because as long as you have a plan it's only a matter of time before they start to catch on!
9. Do you have anything new coming out? Yes! I am in the R&D phase of creating a co-wash.
10. Enough Beauty Talk lets have some fun:
Your Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Favorite City: My hometown, Berkeley!
Hobby: Anything creative...photography, drawing, making new products ;) also eating, listening to music, being near the ocean and spending time with people I love!